Wednesday 19 January 2022

The Fernie Ghostriders Certified Athletic Therapists and Trainers

Last week when the LosAngeles Kings had members of their support staff enter Covid protocol they brought in Aisha Visram who according to the NHL website is the Head Trainer for the Kings AHL team in Ontario California. 

Visram worked for Adironadack of the ECHL from 2017-20, while also serving on the league's Trainers Advisory Committee. From 2012-17 she was trainer for the NCAA Division I St. Lawrence University men's and women's ice hockey teams.

Well I thought this was just another nice story but was set straight by Heather Lewis of Fernie Athletic Therapy and Rehabilitation  and one of two Fernie Ghostriders “Certifed Athletic Therapists” who in no uncertain terms said  “It's about time"

Rider News - Heather what do think about  Visram getting a shot at the NHL and how that news story went viral on social media ?

Lewis - "I am positively speechless about Aisha Visram. There are no proper words in my mind to describe how I feel. When I first saw the news I posted it and I LOVE that almost everyone I shared the post with shared it and thank everyone for this post going viral in the sport world.


 








 

Rider News- So Heather you think this is long overdue ?

Lewis - Firstly, the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association and PHATS/SPHEM have updated the news identifying Jody van Rees as the 1st Assistant Athletic Trainer (she was a Canadian Certifed Athletic Therapist) working for the Montreal Canadiens form 2000-2006...


 









 

“Now I will tell you a bit of an anonymous story and this is where the medical terminology for the term "Trainer" often gets used and abused...I will do my best to explain properly..." When I was in university I worked for a Jr Football club and for many varsity athletic teams. I knew a guy who was "training" for a CFL football team at the time. I have to say "training" as I cannot remember if he was a "Canadian Athletic Therapists Certification Candidate" or a "Fully Certified Athletic Therapist" therefore we will call him a "Trainer" as that is what many people use as catch all term for "medics on the sidelines" (unless it is Rugby and then everyone is a "Physio”).
 
I thought my 5 years spent with the Jr Football team was a good resume builder to maybe make the move to the CFL. This guy told me some news about a female...let's call her a "Trainer" as well as I am unsure what her qualifications were at the time. All I will say is that for every woman working with male sports teams, you are under the microscope at all times...For every negative, it takes a lot of positives to rewind that negative. At that time I thought wanted to work for this CFL team, but apparently I had the wrong "chromosomes".


Rider News, you must have been disappointed after hearing that.

Lewis "No actually it's all good! It takes "very special" Athletic Therapists to work Pro Sport”. “ I think this discussion for me was a blessing in disguise. I was meant to meet and follow my unknown to me at the time "future" boyfriend, Simon to Fernie BC and now we have a family of two wonderful young girls. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Rider News How long have you worked as a Certified Athletic Therapist

Lewis “ So last year my Athletic Therapy Status on my members login on the Canadian Athletic Therapists Association/ CATA website said “You are eligible for retired status"

Rider News You didn’t agree

Lewis emphatically -  "No  I’m  just warming up! 21 years Certified and I learn something new every day from my "patients". Athletic Therapy is for Everyone! It's my pleasure to volunteer my time for the Ghostriders team and give back to this amazing community".

Rider News - Is there a difference between a Trainer and an Athletic Therapist 

Lewis-  my colleague Kayla Boger and I are Certified Athletic Therapists not Athletic Trainers. "Athletic Trainer" is the equivalent American term to the Certified Athletic Therapist in Canada and often wrongly used intermingled.


 

 







Heather Lewis and Kayla Boger 

If someone introduces themselves to you as the "Trainer" as they are the one on the sidelines or bench they may or may not have any medical qualifications! They could be the weightlifting coach, or waterperson, or ankle taper or first aider! I hope that makes sense. We are also not Physiotherapists or Physical Therapists. Those are protected terms. We can get in big trouble if we refer to ourselves as physios. We have high respect for physios! Please take the time to learn and use the proper medical profession terminology.

 

Sportsnet referred to Aisha as an Athletic Trainer. She is Canadian and a Certified Athletic Therapist. She works in the states and therefore refers to herself as an Athletic Trainer. She may actually be dual certified with the CATA and NATA. People of this world...be the change! and remember... "60% of the time, I am right everytime"


Rider News, Heather, on the Ghostriders program they list you and Kayla Boger as Athletic Therapists along with Nicholle Auger and Tatium Doering as Trainers.

Heather: Nicholle Auger joined the medical team this season as a "Trainer". She has taken all of the Hockey Canada required courses to "be on the bench" and has also taken 1st Aid, CPR and the Sport Medicine Council of Alberta's Athletic First Aid and Athletic Taping and Strapping courses. She brings a lifetime of "common sense" and level headedness...she is also madly organized! 

Taitum Doering was hired last season as a "Trainer". Taitum is currently in her 4th year of her Bachelors of Kinesiology at University of Lethbridge. She too has taken all Hockey Canada required courses etc. and is currently applying for Physiotherapy and Athletic Therapy schools (and maybe others) for more post-secondary education. 

The Fernie Ghostriders, Kayla and I are forever thankful for these 2 very knowledgeable and educated women taking on the "Trainer" role this season!!


1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much George for taking the time to interview me and write this article. I have always loved reading your articles! I hope each and every person who reads this article reads all the way to the bottom! I don't think you will ever realize how much this means to Kayla and I (and Nicholle and Taitum) and all the past, present and future trailblazers in the profession of ATHLETIC THERAPY. My profession thanks you!

    ReplyDelete